Sunday, February 5, 2012

Toddlers, Apples & Flash / Project 52 ~ Week 5

  I'm normally a well thought-out, very meticulous planner, organized {maybe even a little bit too much} person.  I've been attempting this year to really let events unfold on their own...even if it means it's not what I expected or planned out.   It's really, really hard for me to let go of some control....really hard!

  I'm also completing a Project 52 for my nature photography.  On Friday afternoon, as I was photographing a few different objects - my youngest woke up from nap.  Normally I cannot capture my still-life type photography when she is nearby.  Friday was no exception.  While I was trying to wrap up with a few shadowed green apples, she sat excitedly in a chair {very close by} asking me "what was I doing".  I smile while I think about that scene this morning.  She is fully entered into what I like to call the "endless toddler question" phase.  Within a few minutes {while I was reviewing the last few images} I looked up to see her sitting right in the middle of my still-life scene, holding one of the two green apples in her tiny toddler hands.  She looked right at me with what seemed like all the confidence in the world and told me "here you go mommy" as she held out the apple balanced on her tiny palms.  My first thought was that she wanted me to grab the apple...I was wrong.  She in fact, wanted me to finish photographing the apple, but wanted to also help by holding it for me.
 
  This was just too precious to pass up.  Her wide-eyes from a long nap, her willingness to be included in a photograph {there's just some days that she does NOT want to be photographed}...there was only one issue.  The lighting in this area was perfectly set-up for a still-life, but in no way would it work for a portrait.  I knew that moving her, could possibly mean losing her silly attitude and the whole shot.  So, I had to resort to my external flash {I know...I really didn't want to!}.  In seconds, I had the flash attached to the camera, quickly changed a few settings and captured the following series of images which make up this week's photo:

Project 52 / Week 5
{Captured:  ISO 200 / F2.8 / 1/100}
  I couldn't decide on just one, so I decided to choose three which would tell the story.  The first image is the adorableness of her attempt at helping with the still-life, the second image is her toddler attention span when she finally couldn't "help" anymore and instead was hungry and that last image is one of my all time favorites - a pure and beautiful smile.

  I know that if I had not used my flash, I never would have captured these images.  I much more prefer natural lighting at sunrise or sunset - and really dislike bumping up the ISOs over 300.  But, as an artist and photographer {and mom to some fast moving children} I think we sometimes have to be prepared for all circumstances and unplanned events.  I am grateful that I had this flash in my bag, even if I rarely use it, I will keep carrying it along for all the "just-in-case" situations.

  Here's another one of my favorites from this quick impromptu session:


Hope everyone has a perfectly wonderful week!
-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment